Skip to main content

Clearly he's a rockstar.

I am hesitant to write what I am about to write, knowing that somehow by bragging about my awesome sleeper of a child it will jinx us. But, he's so awesome at sleeping!


The past two weeks we have began to put Nathan on a schedule (place your judgements here). I was at a point that I wasn't able to get ready and shower everyday or get much of anything done, and my type A personality felt like I was living in total chaos. I never knew what we were doing through out the day. Also, I never knew when and if Daniel and I would have time each day to actually talk like adults. So, we both knew that something had to be done. I starting using the methods that I found helpful from three books that were recommended to me: Babywise, Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child, and the Happiest Baby on the Block. I decided that we needed a schedule, but that I wasn't going to be crazy strict about it.


I started with the basic idea of having a rotation of eat, play, then sleep. And while the time between these events changes, the same rotation happens. This schedule was amazing to me, I learned what Nathan's cries meant and what he needed. I learned that when we thought he was crying for no reason it was because he was tired and wanted to sleep rather than be passed around to twenty of our closest friends. I also learned that Nathan was a cat napper that would only sleep 30-45 minutes and wake up. So now when he does this, I put his back to sleep because I know that he can sleep an hour longer if I do.


Then I started tracking how long he can go between these events and made a schedule that works for both of us. Now I know everyday when he is napping, and when I am showering. Or when he is napping and we are eating dinner. I also know what we are doing when he is awake, like giving him a bath or reading or playing. I can actually plan out our day because I know approximately what we will be doing.

Anyway, this schedule has pretty much changed our mommy/baby lives.


Then the past two days, Nathan totally kicked our baby bliss up a notch. He put himself to sleep. For the past two days, for his long morning and afternoon naps, and at bedtime he has not made much of a peep and just went to sleep on his own. I just swaddle him, give him his pacifier, sing one song and he lays quietly until he goes to sleep. For one of his naps, he laid in his crib for twenty minutes and didn't cry just chilled and fell asleep.

And in a week, this might all change, but for now we are enjoying it.














Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The stowaway

The beginning of January Daniel and I packed up Nathan, and our best friend Joanna and headed to Florida for two weeks. We stayed with Daniel's mom in Daytona Beach for a few days. Then, my parents met us so we could all go on a cruise together; 5 glorious days of fun and food. We had a great time. Lots of sun, sand, and being waited on. We loved it. And now, it turns out, we're going to have a permanent souvenir from our trip. We brought back a stowaway....in my womb. That's right, baby Goulet #2 is on the way. I'm due October 3. Exactly three weeks before Nathans 2nd birthday. All I can say is if baby #2 looks or acts like this guy, my heart's going to explode. Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Warning: Cute overload ahead.

Ode to our awesome friend, Jenna. Jenna is our incredibly funny, caring and all around wonderful neighbor. Not only can she sing, play guitar, have great hair and tie a scarf in 25 different ways, she also can take awesome pictures. Like the pictures that she took of me while I was 9 months pregnant, anyone that can make a hugely pregnant woman look comfortable deserves a medal. She took this belly picture of me: Jenna is also chronically Nathan's growth. She came over the other night to take some Christmas card/one month old pictures. Let's just say that Nathan is not the easiest subject to work with. You have to work around the fact that he doesn't focus, has little head control, and favors looking to the right. Despite these challenges Jenna just sent us these pictures. I can barely handle the cuteness, it makes me temporarily forget the 51 pound weight gain, weeks of puking, and hours of labor. This face makes me become delusional enough to think of how many

Our family Christmas

Here is the Christmas dilema when both parents in a family are pastors and need to be at church most of the Christmas weekend...when does our family do presents???  Answer - whenever we want :)  Daniel and I decided that we love traditions and we are enjoying creating new ones for our family.  One of the traditions that we are going to do with our family is to surprise our kids with the present part of Christmas.  We really want Christmas day to be about Jesus being born.  So we thought it would be fun as they get older to pick a day for us to open presents, then surprise the kids as to when it is. This year, we decided to have our family Christmas on Friday because its our usual family day anyway.  I also decided that it would work better for our schedule to set up and wrap some last minute presents during nap time.  So when the boys woke up from their naps we had a present party. Nathan's big gift was a kitchen with play food.  Nathan is really interested in cooking and loves t