Skip to main content

The new monitor

Little Elijah sleeping in his playpen.

I have been wanting a video monitor ever since we transitioned Nathan to his big boy bed.  The idea of him having full freedom has me always wondering what he is doing in there.  But I don't dare go look in Nathan's room unless he is fully asleep because that causes a giant "mommy hold me" meltdown.  Then, we had Elijah who tricks me into thinking he is awake numerous times a night but at a quick glance I see he is sleeping soundly.  So I knew that we needed to be able to see the little children.
I didn't want to spend a ton of money on a baby monitor.  And I started thinking that since Daniel and I both have iPhones, why don't we use them as our monitor.  It would be one less thing to charge and haul around.  We also have an aluminum sided house, which means our traditional audio monitors do not work outside at all.  So when I go outside with Nathan I have to keep running back by the door to check on the baby.  And while we are at it, Daniel thought it would be cool if he could view the monitor from anywhere so he could stalk our children while he is at work.

I think we found our solution, enter this blog post from a random blog that popped up one of my thousand google searches:
http://www.joyfulabode.com/2011/11/01/baby-monitor-for-iphone-best-easiest-cheapest-how-do/

So far, I think that this fits what we wanted. Its a security camera, really high resolution with awesome night vision.  You can pan and tilt and look around the room.  It's a 2 way monitor so I can hear the kids and I can talk to them if I want to.  I can take pictures of them sleeping, and I can even record video (cause I need video of my children sleeping).  Oh, and I can do all of that FROM MY IPHONE, or my computer.  It works on 3G or wifi. To watch on your computer or iphone its a secure connection so you have to have a userid and password to access.

We figure when we have a babysitter we can leave it up on one of our laptops, or they can use one of our many audio monitors that we use now.

I biggest draw back I can think of right now is that you can't really travel with our system.  But, we have a million audio monitors that we could take with for that.

Here's a screen shot of my iPhone app. Because of iPhone's multitasking I still get notifications when I have this open.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The stowaway

The beginning of January Daniel and I packed up Nathan, and our best friend Joanna and headed to Florida for two weeks. We stayed with Daniel's mom in Daytona Beach for a few days. Then, my parents met us so we could all go on a cruise together; 5 glorious days of fun and food. We had a great time. Lots of sun, sand, and being waited on. We loved it. And now, it turns out, we're going to have a permanent souvenir from our trip. We brought back a stowaway....in my womb. That's right, baby Goulet #2 is on the way. I'm due October 3. Exactly three weeks before Nathans 2nd birthday. All I can say is if baby #2 looks or acts like this guy, my heart's going to explode. Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Warning: Cute overload ahead.

Ode to our awesome friend, Jenna. Jenna is our incredibly funny, caring and all around wonderful neighbor. Not only can she sing, play guitar, have great hair and tie a scarf in 25 different ways, she also can take awesome pictures. Like the pictures that she took of me while I was 9 months pregnant, anyone that can make a hugely pregnant woman look comfortable deserves a medal. She took this belly picture of me: Jenna is also chronically Nathan's growth. She came over the other night to take some Christmas card/one month old pictures. Let's just say that Nathan is not the easiest subject to work with. You have to work around the fact that he doesn't focus, has little head control, and favors looking to the right. Despite these challenges Jenna just sent us these pictures. I can barely handle the cuteness, it makes me temporarily forget the 51 pound weight gain, weeks of puking, and hours of labor. This face makes me become delusional enough to think of how many

Sleep

Want to know who slept from 9pm until 7:30am this morning without getting up to nurse???? This guy, that's who. - Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone